Monday, June 14, 2010

Upsetting the Apple Cart

So as Mancub's second birthday fast approaches I find myself in a quandary, as he's never managed to escape the confines of his prison, erm... I mean to say baby bed, do I convert his bed to a toddler bed or leave him suspended in time like a pre-flight Peter Pan in his baby bed. I should be clear, it's not for lack of effort that he has been unable to make like the Joe Bowers, he tries every single day. We were lucky enough to have purchased a bed with sides so high that he would have to add an extra 8 inches to already 36" frame in order to hoist a leg up and over the side. Being thwarted at every attempt has not stopped him from trying every.single.day. He has determination that kid, and he now has biceps and triceps that would make a pro weightlifter jealous from his attempts to pull himself up and out of the bed. So to recap he can't escape his parental imposed prison.

I think on one hand it is the height of awesomeness that he can't get out of bed yet because it eliminates the possibility of waking up at 2am eyeball to eyeball with a bright eyed toddler scaring the bejeezuz out of me and leave a wet spot on my side of the bed. You would think at first glance that's enough of a reason to keep him captive, but it also means that he can't come and get us if something is wrong or he's scared. I'm no fool, it also means he won't be in the kitchen at 2am pulling everything out of the fridge. (If this is where you tell me about the safety closures for appliances, save it, we have them and he opens the sh!T anyway.)

On the other hand, I long to give him the freedom of the other 2 year old we know. I want him to be able to climb in his bed when he's tired instead of collapsing on the floor with his blanket. I want him to be able to grab a book and climb on his bed to read it like he wants to. I want him to be able to get up and down without having to wait for us to come and help him. And yet...as i type all of that, the part of me that likes calm and order? She is shrieking in terror.

So here's the question, the query, the poser: Do I maintain the status quo? Do I leave him in a state of constant frustration at his inability to get out of bed? Or do I set him free, grant him parole, spring him from the hoosegow?

4 comments:

Anthony and Ashleys Mommy said...

I transitioned anthony in stages. I got his bed set up in there but still kept the crib up. Can you take the front rail off the crib? and make it a toddler bed? We did that for a couple weeks. Then I knew Anthony wouldn't get out of bed and it was still his crib so it wasn't a huge change for him. then awhile after that we got him to go in his bed (moved the bed to where his crib was so it still felt like the same place) and he did great. Never had a problem.

Mancub's Mom said...

Thanks Kim. Yes his bed actually converts to a toddler bed. We got one of the lifetime cribs that goes from crib to toddler bed to full size bed. I think we'll try that before moving him to his race car bed that his daddy had to have for him.

Anthony and Ashleys Mommy said...

Anthony LOVES his race car bed. And whats nice about it, is if he does fall out of it, its not a far fall.

Also, we put one of those door knob covers for the inside of his door so I knew he would be wandering the house in the middle of the night. He knows he can't get out of his bedroom so he doesn't even try.

Kim

salma said...

I think we'll try that before moving him to his race car bed that his daddy had to have for him.