Friday, October 8, 2010

Rhythmic Boxing Sans Rhythm

**WRITTEN 9/28/2010 I hit save instead of Publish**

Exercise and I will never be friends, it is the bane of my very existence. I hate it and everything it stands for. That being said, exercise is also a necessary evil. So I grumble, grouse, and swear about it, but I do it. I've seen no real results in my weight, but I have seen a marked improvement in my stamina and energy. I've done Couch to 5k for the last 12 weeks. In the interest of honesty I should say that instead of running, I rode a bike for the allotted running time when my knee started acting all, 'This bitch is crazy!' after the first 6 weeks in the program. Yes, I know the c25k program is only 9 weeks long but I did weeks 7, 8, and 9 twice because they kicked my ass mightily the first time, I wanted to drag out the experience a little more.

After I finished the c25k program I was nowhere near interested in ready to participate in a 5k, and not keen on doing the whole thing again, so I began looking for something else to do. I tried walking on the treadmill, riding the stationary bike, using the Sliding Machine of Torture (Total Gym), and absolutely nothing kept my interest. I know me, if I'm not interested in doing something, I won't keep doing it no matter how good it is for me. It's a nasty habit, but I've accepted it about myself.

I was looking into other fitness programs when I saw it sitting on the shelf. My old nemesis, the Wii Fit. It was watching me, tempting me, mocking me with its' white balance board. I pulled it out and scrounged up the games that go with it, so for the last few weeks I've tried getting back to quasi-friendly terms with my Wii Fit. It's a masochistic manifestation of my self-loathing. Surprisingly, I have found myself addicted to the damn thing and I use it three times a week for cardio and yoga for 45 minutes to an hour. The other three days that I work out, I use the treadmill, stationary bike, and Sliding Machine of Torture.

I don't know why I find it so addictive, I spend most of my time swearing at it. It's starts out with minor annoyance at needing to select my way through 85 different menu options but soon becomes a full blown rage when insulted by a fecking video game system every time I step on the balance board. The Wii Fit says "Oh!" when I step on it, I say "PHUUUUUUUUCK YOU" and it goes steadily down hill from there. I'm told rage burns calories so...

I bore you to death with that so I can humiliate myself and tell you this, I pulled a muscle in my left chesticular region while playing working out on the Wii Fit. I was moving along through my routine, I'd just completed an 'Island Run' and unlocked a new Running Game. When I saw that I hadn't yet played the Rhythmic Boxing game. Somewhere in my head there was a little voice telling me that this would end badly. That little voice reminded me of the ER trips because I have trouble walking and talking at the same time. I told that little voice to have a nice tall glass of shut-the-hell-up and I selected the boxing game. Part 1 of the tutorial was a lot of fun. A LOT! And I got the moves down pretty quickly so I decided to skip part 2 of the tutorial and go straight into the work out. The little voice I'd silenced earlier tried to show me the flaw in this plan, but I slapped it down and went about my business.

I moved through the basic work out easily, and I got a little more confident in myself. So I continued to box my way through the routine for another 15 minutes. When I unlocked the 'Extended Workout' I immediately was...one might say cocky, but I say self confident. I was all,  'YES! I AM MADE OF AWESOME!' I selected the extended workout and I got a warning saying I should be wary of over doing it and that I had already worked out for 48 minutes, did I want to take a break?  I was like, "I don't need a break! I am awesome, and Wii Fit is about to be my bitch!" Pride goeth before the fall...ha.ha.ha.

I lasted through the first two combinations and then... I don't know exactly what happened. I don't know when I went from confident Rhythmic Boxer to Queen of the Spazmanian Devils. Maybe it was somewhere between the upper cut/jab/backward-step-off-the-balance-board and Right/Left/Right/Duck. I'll never know for sure. It's a mystery. All I know is I got a little confused, lost my balance, and when I stepped off the balance board it slid out from under my other foot and I managed not to fall. In the process of not falling and ascending to the throne of the Spazmanian Devil Dynasty I pulled a muscle in my chest, the left side. It's like a hot poker is being jabbed through my boob and coming out of my back. It hurts, so I bitch, but it's also a ridiculous injury so I laugh. HahahahahahaOW!

Wii Fit - 1 Me - 0

1 comment:

kevin21 said...

A cigarette (include the Cheap Newport Cigarettes) is a specific product

made from finely cut and cured tobacco leaves combined with a number of additives (in some cigarettes the number can reach a hundred) and rolled into a paper-wrapped cylinder.

Smoking and smoking cigarettes in particular is a kind of tradition or ritual that appeared in the ancient times. According to the statistics, about 34 percent of people in the

world are smokers, so millions and millions of cigarettes are sold these days ? at convenience stores, supermarkets, gas stations and online. However, as the heavy taxes on

cigarettes and tobacco, many smokers even can't afford to buy Newport Cigarettes

for their everyday life.